Friday, January 25, 2013

Decisions reversed!

Remember when the bid we got for painting our interior trim coincided with me losing my job? Remember how we decided that I'd have extra time, could help prep and that we should do the interior trim paint ourselves? Well, I'm here to tell ya that changing one's mind can be a powerful thing.

After the spray fail of earlier this week, and continuing problems with the sprayer, M and I came to separate, independent decisions to reconsider hiring our neighbor and professional painter to do the trim. What a relief! He came over Wednesday, confirmed the price (about $600 less than we were expecting) and told us the prep would start as soon as his crew had some extra time. Actual painting will start in about 2 weeks. What that means is that there are several items to be finished before the painting can begin:

Stair skirting completed
Casing on the beams and pillars downstairs
Casing on the pillar in the loft
Stair fronts (are they called risers?) installed.

There's more stuff for sure, and we'll work on a list of it today and tomorrow.

This is such a huge relief. It feels like the end is in sight. And Chris and his crew will do a much better job than we could.

Meantime, we I repainted the laundry room (a pretty pale blue) and it looks great. I EVEN DID THE CUTTING IN!  (you have no idea how proud I am that I conquered this skill) I lost my camera for a couple days, but now it's back, so I promise some photos. I did a good job for a newbie. This afternoon I'll work on another room that has the bulk painting done but needs that top part next to the ceiling finished.

We moved the fridge (more to come + a bunch of comical photos) and are assessing how to get it into the house. That deserves it's own post.

And now that the decision's been made to get the professionals in for trim painting, maybe, maybe this weekend we can set a move in date!

(not forgetting that the following is just a partial list of to be completed items:
Master Bedroom Built ins (partially complete)
Vanities painted and installed in master bath
Master shower tiles
Medicine cabinets found and installed in master bath
Lights assessed and installed in master bath
Closet hardware installed in master closet
Carpet for upstairs bedrooms
Vanity found for guest bath
Toilet installed in guest bath
Railing for stairwell
Door for loft
All door hardware purchased and installed
Lighting for over island
Island built
Island countertop picked out and fabricated
Powder room toilet installed
Powder room pedestal sink installed
Powder room lighting finished
Deck railing purchased and installed
Stairway from office landing built and installed.)

WHEW!

No comments:

Post a Comment