Friday, March 15, 2013

Deck railings and continuing down time

It's been a bit of a mixed bag, here at Chez DG. We made some good progress on deck railings over the weekend, though took Sunday off to go to the Sacramento Antique Fair.

Here's the railing panel construction in progress:
Panel cut to size. "Sandwich" boards cut to size, primed and painted in 3 coats of paint.
 One panel, almost ready to be placed between posts. There was lots of back and forth about spacing, evenness (side to side between the posts) and general design. It took a long time to come to the plan, but now we're on our way.


Small panel awaiting placement between two posts.

Large panels leaned against their posts. I think we've figured out the clip/attach system now, and are about ready to place them, except, in other news, M's back has gone out.

She has a bulging disk, and she's been in a bad way all week. Like a can-hardly-walk-and-sitting-in-the-car-is-super-painful way. Poor thing.

Just when one of us gets well, the other seems to get worse. In good news, though, I got results of a thyroid biopsy this week: benign! Yipee! That was a bit of a scare.

And in other mixed news, I have a potential short-term job on the horizon. The good news is it's a job I'm excited about. The not as great news is that it means I would start in about 2 weeks. So, I want to get as much of my personal contribution of work (read: work I can actually do vs. work I am not qualified for) done before I have to start spending time at an actual job (and one which will likely require a bit of travel, meaning no weekends to moonlight at the house). But it's a great opportunity, and the house will be finished sooner or later.

Even with all the injury going around, we've still made some progress on our guest room vanity. It's cool, and I'll share that soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment