Friday, March 8, 2013

It's electric!

I've done a bit of electrical work in my day. And by that I mean changing light switches, installing fixtures, dimmers and the like. I understand the basic concept of wiring and electricity (well, sort of) and maybe I got my no-fear attitude from my dad (He worked for the utility company, maintaining the powerhouses. He was an electrical machinist, not a licensed electrician, but he got it. And he taught me as long as I was very careful--both switch and breaker off--I could do it too).

But at DG, I've done nothing even close to electrician work, unless you count the installation of the face plates. Hardly professional grade.

M suggested I install the second master bathroom light (I'd done the first one months ago--we liked it, but weren't sure about the size since we were still debating the sizes/purchase of medicine cabinets to go over the vanities. We've since decided to start just with mirrors and upgrade to medicine cabinets later. Medicine cabinets couldn't be recessed, and so we weren't sure the light fixtures would come out from the wall far enough to adequately light a cabinet. With mirrors, they're fine). So I did.

We'd been kind of stuck on what fixtures we wanted for the guest bath. Then, Home Depot got in some new lighting options, and there were a couple possibilities that we liked. They were economical, small enough to fit the unique spot where they go (slanty ceiling), and they were cute and fit with our Craftsman theme. So a couple days ago, I got my toolbelt on (not really, though it would've been handy) and got them installed. I only had to ask M a couple questions!


One partially installed. Note the slant.

This corner is tight!

Close up (don't mind the poor green paint cut in! That was done before I was more experienced!)

Success!


















We debated a bit about whether to have shades up or shades down, and settled on this orientation, at least for now. Once we have a vanity and mirror, we'll revisit whether this was the right choice.

No comments:

Post a Comment