Thursday, March 21, 2013

Vanity

As in, the bathroom sink kind, not the concern about how we look.

M is still down with her bad back. VERY slow progress. Our goal is for her to be able to tie her own shoes by March 31 when I leave for 6 days. I am cautiously optimistic. As for me, I'm trying to talk myself down from feeling like the next handful of days are my last days ever to work on the house, and the time is wasted because M is not up to working, yet. This is all a result of starting a new job next week, and knowing that with a fair amount of travel in my immediate future, my time to contribute anything substantial to the house will be minimal.

But onward! We have been making progress on our guest bath vanity. We started it BBB (before bad back) and have continued a bit while M has been hurting. And by continue I mean that she's been standing beside me with her umbrella cane (she calls it Mr. Peanut) and coaching me through what to do. For some reason, though, she seems to not want me to use the chop or table saw. Hmmmm. Anyway, here are the beginning stages of the vanity construction.

First M built a basic box. Then we started with our cladding materials:

Yes, those are pallets.

We disassembled them (read: cut through the screws holding them together) to get our planks.

The leftover pile.

Then I made five "washes" of paint (from interior leftovers we had on hand). I just watered it down in: pale green (white + guest bath green), guest bath green, powder room dark gray, laundry floor light gray and some random medium blue we had a tester for. Here I am painting. Yes, it looks like an animal living on my head (trying to grow my hair out a bit).

The finished planks drying. The colors are more intense than shown here, but because of the late day sun they look washed out.

One side attached, mostly. This is still in progress, so more to come. Again, colors are a bit brighter in person, but still subtle. This is the "public" side that will be next to the toilet. The left side will be nearly against the wall. We're considering a tin top with an overmount sink.

Another (slightly different) view. We have a few more steps to finish and may get to do that today depending on how well I take direction from M, and whether she can trust my measurements (I hate measuring tiny increments with a tape measure--I'm always 1/8 inch off!).






Stay tuned for more progress. Oh yeah, and that white stuff that's all over the driveway? Well, when we tore the original house down, we had a lot of old stucco (backed by chicken wire-like backing) and so to keep our driveway from getting too muddy or weed infested, we laid it down there (as a maybe temporary measure). It helps, but it uneven and I've nearly tripped so many times!

No comments:

Post a Comment